Wednesday 6 June 2012

Brandt New

The long weekend is over. So the sun decides to put its f***ing hat on. Course it does.
I'm not going to go into a very British weather-related rant but instead dwell on the fact that I managed to leave the office, wind my way through traffic and hit up the gym as well as escape into the fresh air for a quick walk and point 'n' shoot. It was a beautiful evening and The Sticks were looking seriously good!
I've also just come across some incredible landscape images from experimental photographer, Matthew Brandt. I spotted them on The New Yorker website (it fulfils my Carrie Bradshaw-esque fantasies about being a writer in The Big Apple) and I have to say I think his work is fantastic. Nostalgic and very cool and of the minute at the same time. Love. Check out more of his work here 
Enjoy!


Shasta Lake CA 4
Mary’s Lake, MT 3, 2012



American Lake WA C8


"Out in the field, Brandt takes with him two key tools: a camera, and a five-gallon plastic jug. “The camera is to take an image of the lake or reservoir, while the jugs are to take some of the actual lake,” he explained. When he gets back to his studio, he makes prints of selected images, then empties the water he collected into a large tray. “The c-print of that same lake is then submerged into the tray with the lake’s water,” he said. “From this point I wait for the water to break down its own photographic image. Depending on the image density and water, this breakdown time can take days or weeks.”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/photobooth/2012/06/matthew-brandts-contemporary-landscapes.html#ixzz1x3Ey2vQJ




Credit where credit's due: Me & Matthew Brandt, Courtesy Yossi Milo Gallery, New York via The New Yorker

No comments:

Post a Comment